Poster presentations given at scientific meetings are widely used in medicine to communicate research findings. A good poster presentation can be an effective way to share the results of your research with your peers, in a collegial and nonthreatening atmosphere. Feedback received during a poster session can be invaluable in refining your research and preparing for publication in a peer reviewed journal.
If your abstract has been selected for a poster presentation and a local, regional or national meeting, the Office of Educational Affairs is happy to offer support and guidance.
Please remember to submit a request for funding to cover the costs of printing your poster. The Department of Internal Medicine recommends that all posters are printed at the Tompkins-McCaw Library Instructional Media Workshop. If you choose to have your poster printed by an outside vendor, keep in mind that the Department will only offset the cost of $15/foot.
- Call SA, Kubiak N, Naylor B, Haidet P. Team-based Learning in an Internal Medicine Residency Primary Care Curriculum.
- Abbate A. Cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibition in an experimental model of post infarction remodeling in the mouse.
- Smith JO. What walks like meningitis may actually talk pituitary apoplexy.
Research Poster Templates
Download VCU & VCU Medical Centerresearch poster templates
- Tompkins-McCaw Library Instructional Media Workshop, Home of the large format HP DesignJet printer. Poster printing by appointment only.
- Guidelines for Designing Posters, VCU School of Medicine Office of Faculty and Instructional Development
- VCU Identity-Graphic Standards, High resolution VCU and VCU Medical Center emblems and logos for download
- Chapter 9: Posters. Briscoe, MH. Preparing Scientific Illustration, Second Edition. (pdf) Excellent resource on the nuts and bolts of preparing a poster, from planning to production.
- Preparing a Poster Presentation, Guidelines from the American College of Physicians, includes tips, examples and poster production timeline
- Colin Purrington: Designing conference posters. Gratuitous advice on how to prepare posters for scientific meetings, research conferences, and similar gatherings of nerds who want to share their stuff on really big pieces of paper. Includes great links and articles.
- Introduction: Poster Sessions, Writing@CSU, Colorado State University. Includes discussions on planning and designing posters.
- How to Make a Great Poster, Dina F. Mandoli, University of Washington, Department of Botany
- Creating a Poster Using MS PowerPoint, University of Washington School of Public Health and Community Medicine— discusses the concept of designing a poster that effectively delivers the message you want to convey. Includes a sample poster template.